How about treating holiday guests to a new twist on traditional eggnog? Consider Maple Grove’s Pamela Mercado Michelli’s recipe for Puerto Rican coconut eggnog.
- 15 oz. cream of coconut
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup white rum (optional)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. freshly-grated nutmeg, plus more for serving
- cinnamon sticks, for serving
Put the cream of coconut, three milks, rum (optional), vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg in a blender. Blend until smooth, about two minutes. Transfer to a pitcher; cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until very cold, about an hour. Give the coquito a good stir, as the mixture might separate slightly as it sits. Pour into individual mugs or glasses. Top with more nutmeg, and serve with a cinnamon stick.
Pamela Mercado Michelli is an author.