Spruce up your beverage game and use blackberries to add a burst of seasonal flavor to classic drinks. Peaking in July, these juicy berries provide the perfect touch of sweetness and a stunning color to compliment.
Pro tip: When shopping for this fruit, seek out the deep, purple-colored berries with a glossy finish for optimal ripeness with no trace of bitterness. For storing, do not wash until you are ready to eat because the added moisture can shorten the shelf life and spark decay.
Makes 1 drink
6 Tbsp. (2 shots) of tequila
1 Tbsp. agave syrup
2 limes juiced
sugar for the rim
optional lime wheel for garnish
- Use a lime wedge to line ¼ of the rim with juice and roll it in sugar
- In a separate glass, muddle the blackberries and the juice of one lime together
- Using a handheld strainer, filter the contents into a cocktail shaker
- Pour in the tequila and the juice of the second lime
- Add ice and shake for 10-15 seconds
- Strain the mixture into the sugar-rimmed glass and pour the “used” ice on top
- Garnish with a lime wheel and enjoy!
Blackberry Mint Mule
Makes 3 drinks
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/3 cup of mint leaves (extra for garnish)
2 Tbsp. freshly minced ginger
10~15 blackberries (extra for garnish)
1 1/2 cups ginger beer (a ½ cup per serving)
- Muddle the blackberries, lime juice, mint leaves and ginger until the leaves break down into small specks, and the blackberries and ginger are smaller than their original size.
- Using a handheld strainer, separate the liquid contents into a cocktail shaker
- Add ice and shake for 15-20 seconds
- Pour about 1.5 Tbsp. of the mixture into a copper mug, fill it with ice and top it off with ginger beer
- Garnish with a mint sprig and a blackberry