Travel is one of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves, and the benefits go well beyond taking a break from our lives. It opens us to new environments, cultures, cuisines and experiences.
Staying active should be an important part of any vacation as it helps elicit dopamine, the feel-good hormone, to drive up our energy levels and keep us motivated.
Here are my top five healthy tips for your next vacation:
- Pack workout gear. Set aside room in your suitcase for sneakers and two sets of workout clothes. If you pack it, you will see it every day, making it hard to say, “No.”
- Check out the hotel gyms. Go online before you go to check the hours, rules, equipment and if any classes are offered.
- Track your steps. Wear a fitness tracker, and set a daily goal. This will push you to get out and explore.
- Bring a mini resistance band. They will not put your suitcase over the weight limit. They pack a big punch and offer similar resistance to weights.
- Explore the area. Being somewhere new brings on a sense of adventure. Check out a new workout that you have always wanted to try, find out what is popular in the area and give it a go.
Laurel Famigletti is an area resident and owner of EndorP.H.I.T, where she provides virtual group fitness classes, in-home personal training and virtual nutrition coaching.